LilyPie

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

38 Weeks and Ready Already!

Today, I decided that I need to wear a sign around my neck that says the following, "Yes, I am still pregnant. Yes, I plan on working until I have the baby. Yes, I am tired and uncomfortable. And, the due date is September 27th, so stop asking me these same questions every day!" I am really having a hard time being polite when people ask me, "When are you due again?" or "You still haven't had that baby?" or "When do you plan on taking off from school?" or finally, "How are you?" It's sad that I have even gotten tired of people asking how I am doing! So, if you want to make my day, be nice and ask me about my students or something not related to my pregnancy! I am really having a hard time politely answering these questions! I have still been experiencing some Braxton-Hicks and discomfort, but I am still healthy, my blood pressure is still good, and my swelling hasn't been as bad as it was a few weeks ago, so while I am still healthy, I plan on working. Why not? If I am sitting at home, I will be sitting at home doing nothing while I could be preparing my students for their time with my substitute. Plus, if I am going to take time off, I want it to be time spent with my child, not my TV, laptop, and iPhone. I discussed this with my doctor today, and she completely supports this decision. She also told me to remind everyone that I am an intelligent and aware person who would not let myself get to the point of delivery while still at school. People need to stop believing what they see on television and remember that most first babies take much more time to deliver. Also, even if my water breaks before I make it to the hospital (heaven forbid it were to happen at school), it is not the end of the world, and that happens with a much smaller percentage of women than people think. So, trust me, I will not do anything to put myself or our baby in danger, so there is no need to worry about me!

We did have an appointment today, and here are the latest stats: I am now up to 80% effaced and closer to 2 1/2 centimeters dilated. Camden's heartbeat is still beating strong. My blood pressure was actually lower than last week, and my uterus measures 38 centimeters (for 38 weeks). My doctor let me know that she would not let me go even a full week after my due date without inducing labor (mainly because of Camden's size and because I have "favorable cervix" - Neal and I thought that was hilarious wording). So, I am confident that he will arrive before the end of the month! I have so far survived the following milestones at school: the first week of school, the states and capitals test (with my seventh graders) - this is always a beating, Open House (last night), and passing out progress reports. I am hoping to make it through tomorrow's pep rally, the end of progress report week, and our catered lunch to celebrate the fact that our school is now a Blue Ribbon School (a huge honor that is awarded by the national government). But, I am starting to realize more and more that no matter how much I do to prepare, in the end, I have to let go and remember that my students will be in good hands while I am out. Plus, I will have plenty of time to catch them up after I return to school - if some catching up time is needed.

Here I am at 38 weeks and ready walk through that door to drive to the hospital - just have to wait until our baby boy is ready, though!
I am definitely getting to the point where I can't wait to wear normal clothes again, I am tired of the double chin, and I want carry my baby on the outside!

Also, I included this picture of our schnauzer, Penny, taking our stroller for a spin. She is scared of the stroller (and anything with wheels, for that matter), so we thought this might cure her fears. I think it just made it worse, though! It will be interesting to see how she reacts when we take Camden on walks in the stroller with the pups.

And, finally, Neal and I went for what will most likely be our last date before the baby arrives tonight. We went to Chik Fil A after our appointment this afternoon and then finally saw the movie Inception (amazing film!) in Southlake. We also stopped by Barnes and Noble and purchased a book that we had both been wanting to read. It was great to spend quality time together, and I can't believe that our little boy will be with us so soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally know what you mean! People act like pregnant people are sick and should be home in bed or something! We do get such meager maternity leaves, I don't blame you at all for working until he is born. I plan on doing the same.

Jenny said...

Cindy, we can't wait to hear that Camden is born! Hoping for a safe and soon delivery! --Tim and Jenny