LilyPie

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Mother's Day Fun (And other important news)!

Ok, so I know I am almost a week late on this post, but until school gets out, I pretty much don't have free time or energy to do anything productive at home. I know this is a long one, but stay with me until the end for an exciting announcement - it is definitely worth your while! We had a fabulous Mother's Day weekend, so I just had to share the details! First off, we drove to Houston to visit my parents and made it just in time to have dinner at my favorite Mexican food restaurant, El Charro. Now, this trip involves bringing home a pint of salsa to enjoy once I get back to Fort Worth! And, did I mention we went to El Charro twice in three days? My family is so patient and accommodating with my cravings. After I thoroughly enjoyed my meal, we went back to my parents house and showed them the dvd from our ultrasound which I never get tired of watching. Neal is not as excited about it, because he still thinks that our baby looks like an alien - I am just constantly amazed and comforted by his movements and watching his heartbeat. After we watched the dvd, I was sitting on the couch with my hands resting on my stomach when I felt a little kick. I have felt movement for awhile, but I had not been able to catch anything that I could feel from the outside. This is very important to me, because I wanted Neal to be able to feel that with me! So, when I realized what I felt, I made him come over and feel my stomach, too, and Neal was able to feel our son kick for the very first time! My mom always has her camera available, so she was able to capture a picture for us as well. Not the most flattering picture, because I was totally stretched out on the couch, but the memory is what is most important, here. I also think that my good meal contributed to his kicks!
The next day, Mom and I were able to shop for some fun things for me and the baby! I have loved how much she has spoiled me over the last few months, and I already know that our son is going to be very spoiled by her gifts, seeing as how she is constantly picking stuff out for him! We went to Target and looked at bras (I was down to only one that still fit), maternity clothes, dresses for Mom to wear to baby showers, and of course, all of the nursery furniture, baby gadgets, etc. that Target has to offer. In case you don't know, my mom currently works with the youngest babies at her school, so she is up on all of the latest products. She knows what is popular, what doesn't really work, and what is trendy. This was so helpful for me - especially since Neal and I went to register for the first few items this week. We are so not even close to being finished, but we did get started. After Target, Mom and I went to Jo Ann's to look at yarn for a blanket she is making, and while I was there I decided to take back the striped fabric that I had originally bought at Hancock's and buy a different striped fabric that matches the polka dots that I was thinking about using for a diaper bag or something else. I also bought more of the polka dot fabric. I liked the first set of stripes, but I was having a hard time finding anything else that matched it, and I felt like I had been pressured into buying it by the saleslady at Hancock's who warned me that they would never get more of that particular design again. I was so worried that they wouldn't have it that I bought it without really looking at other stuff, first. So, I am much happier about what I have now. Also, mom bought me more tops at Motherhood Maternity which just so happened to be in the same parking lot as Target. I forgot how wonderful it can be to go to a store where all of the racks have clothes you can try on - not just the racks at the back of the store! Pretty much all of my cute maternity clothes have come from shopping sprees with Mom! Thanks, Mom!


On Sunday, we went to Minute Maid Park to watch the Astros beat the Padres. They have had a rough start to the season, so it was nice to see them win. Neal gave me a precious Mother's Day card that was from our baby (that made me bawl like a baby) - it was so sweet! And, the waterworks were definitely hormone-induced. I think that during the first trimester of my pregnancy, I didn't really cry at all - which is the opposite of how I usually react, but since second trimester started, I have cried at the smallest things, however, I do believe that a sentimental Mother's Day card would make anyone cry. One of the coolest parts of Mother's Day was going to the game (where all of the moms were given roses by the mothers of some of the players) and hearing people say, "Happy Mother's Day!" to me over and over again. I almost teared up each time I heard that, because I am not used to it, and this is something I have dreamed about for years. I loved every bit of it! We also splurged on ice cream (Blue Bell, yum!) which has definitely been on my list of foods I crave. Just a great day in general!

21 weeks at the ballpark with Neal patting my bellyNeal, me, mom, and Robby
Also, my dad lives in a funky loft that is just a few streets away from the ball park, so we were able to stop by and see him and pick up a few baby items from him. Let's just say that I am glad we took my stepdad's truck! We now have the crib, mattress, a swing, a bouncer, a sleep positioner, a microwave sterilizer,and some dishwasher accessories. I am so glad to have the crib - that is a huge relief! Now, we just need to paint the nursery, and then we can put the crib back together, and of course, I will post pictures of that! Here is the fabric we (I) picked out for the nursery:

It is more turquoise/teal in person, but I am so much happier with this choice! Now, I just need to bring it to my Nana's house so she can start making everything. I can't wait to see the finished product!
We also had another doctor's appointment this week, and the most interesting news is that my due date has been changed from September 17 to September 27. This is all based on the measurements that were taken by the sonographer at our ultrasound appointment. I actually think that it means that our baby just may be a little smaller than other babies at this stage normally, but if he decides to come closer to the later date, I am actually okay with that, because it means that I get more time to start the school year and train my students before my long-term substitute takes over for six-eight weeks. Everything else was normal - I have actually gained some weight, which makes sense, because I definitely have my appetite back! And, his heartbeat was still at about 150 beats per minute. My next appointment is the dreaded gestational diabetes test, which I don't really want to think about right now - although I do know that I will be rewarded with a Chick Fil-A breakfast after I finish it!
Last but not least, we have chosen a name for our precious little boy! We are naming him:
Camden Rhys Helf!
We love him already and can't wait for him to be here! Stay tuned for updates on the nursery and registries!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cindy-I'm excited for y'all! Such a cute name and I really like the patterns you picked! If he ends up coming on the 27th he'll have the same birthday as me!

Keri M. said...

yay, you picked a name! it's so cute :)

Whitney said...

great post!
1- love the fabric for the nursery & can't wait to see if finished!
2- precious name
3- your new due date is one day before my birthday!! :)