LilyPie

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Back to School, Back to School

This week, I have been busy at school preparing for students to enter my classroom and start the year. This also explains why I have been MIA for the past few days. It's kind of a weird feeling not knowing exactly how long I will be there before Camden arrives and my long-term substitute fills in for 6 weeks. I also feel more prepared this year than I ever have in the past - I'm thinking that it's because I spent so much time this summer getting ready for this school year at home! By the way, I am loving learning about all of the new technology in my classroom, but I am hoping that everything will stay intact while I'm out! And, I hope that everything will be set up and working before I leave - we are still experiencing some technical difficulties with some of the outlets that have been installed in my room. Also, I can really feel that I have been on my feet much more in the past week - even in my stomach. I don't know how to explain it exactly, but at the end of the day, Camden will feel as though he is sitting really low in my uterus where it feels like I am sitting forward when I am really reclined back. This is the most frustrating part of the drive home from school, because I feel like there is no position that is really comfortable! Maybe he is sitting low, because he is just as tired as I am!

On Tuesday, we had our 34 week appointment with the doctor, and once again, everything looks good. My feet were already swollen from a warm morning at school, but she was not concerned, because I don't have high blood pressure or ketones/glucose in my urine - all of those things combined with swelling usually signal preeclampsia, which can often times mean bed rest until the baby comes. Fortunately (or unfortunately), my swelling is simply a result of this lovely triple digit heat combined with limited air conditioning at school right now - we don't get full air privileges until students are present in the building. I do not believe that is wise, especially with how hot it is outside. Now, I totally understand why so many friends who have been pregnant during the same months as I have been have had to deal with really bad swelling when they come back to school - it is impossible to stay cool. The only time my feet are able to go back to normal is when I come home and lay completely flat. And, unfortunately, it looks like this will be something that I will have to endure until Camden arrives! Speaking of our sweet little boy, it looks like he is still positioned with his head down and ready for delivery, his heartbeat is normal at 140-150 beats per minute, and he still moves like crazy! Sometimes, I will put my cell phone on my stomach and watch it bounce up and down - I am still surprised at the movements that I feel from him daily! I also know that he usually starts moving when I am hungry, and he will usually move about 30 minutes after I eat. He also needs to adjust the way he is positioned when I lay down to sleep at night, because he is pushed to one side of my stomach. I think I may have also felt either hiccups or thumb-sucking during the last few weeks, because I will feel little bounces that seem very rhythmic that do not appear to be as forceful as an arm or leg hitting me. I hope this is something that we will be able to see in our last ultrasound!

In about a week and a half, we will have our last ultrasound to check his size and position, and my doctor will begin checking my cervix to see if I'm dilated/effaced. We are getting closer and closer to his arrival! Sometimes I feel as though it could be any minute now! This weekend, Neal and his parents are helping his sister move to a different apartment while I am taking it easy and enjoying a few more days of "freedom." On Monday, I start school, and I am praying that my students will be prepared, excited, and ready to learn. I am also praying that I can keep my energy level up during these first few weeks. That may involve a few conference period naps! Also, I have one more shower this week at school, and Neal starts his last semester of graduate school (Yea!). Let's also pray that I don't go into labor while he is in Dallas on Friday nights for one of his classes - Tuesday would be the best night, because I would get my own doctor, and Neal does not have class on those nights! If you are a teacher in Texas, enjoy your last few days before Monday!

0 comments: