LilyPie

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, August 6, 2010

32 weeks . . . 8 more to go!

What a busy couple of weeks it's been! However, we are pretty much ready for Camden to be here - although there are a few little things that we need, but we have another shower in this month, so it's really best to wait to get those last few items until after our last shower. Last week, we finished the nursery (see pictures below)! I am so happy to have this completed, and a few times, Neal and I have gone upstairs and sat in the glider in Camden's room just to think about what it will be like when he is here. Some of our friends came in saw it on Sunday night, and the husband told his wife later that he couldn't believe how crazy people go with stuff for baby rooms. I guess it's right, but don't we all want the best for our little ones? The hardest part of finishing the nursery was definitely Neal's job. He had to put anchors in the wall to hang all of the shelves and the memory board. I am so proud of him for not losing his cool, and I love how he kept thinking of Camden's safety with everything that we put up. I'll describe the nursery with the pictures toward the end of this post.

This week, we had our breastfeeding class, my 32 week appointment, and a consultation with our pediatrician - like I said, we have been very busy! I absolutely loved the lactation consultant who taught the breastfeeding class! In fact, Neal and I both thought that we could see ourselves being friends with her if we had met her outside of the class. She was very relaxed and personable, and she is passionate about the importance of breastfeeding. I very strongly believe in the necessity of breastfeeding, so I did not need to be sold on its importance, but it was great to learn all of the information that she had about how to get a good latch, the proper positions, how/when to pump, when to introduce bottles and pacifiers, etc., etc. I also feel much better about pumping when I go back to school. I was even able to figure out a good schedule for pumping while I was in the class, so I will much more prepared when the time comes. The only thing we haven't really decided on is when to wean our little boy, and it surprised me, but my husband actually thinks it would be just fine for us to breastfeed Camden until he's two! We'll see about that - I know that we will know when the time is right for our family.

Here I am at 32 weeks - just trying to stay cool. That has been the main issue, lately. The highs have been in the 100's for the past week and a half, so it has been really hard to keep from sweating - even when I am sitting inside with the ac and fan running. The worst is when I get out of the shower - I can't take a cold shower, but I try to turn the water as cool as possible and I still feel like I'm sweating the entire time that I am finishing getting ready. I can't wait for the highs to get lower! I am also experiencing much more lower back pain and hip pain - especially when I roll over from one side to the other or getting up from the couch or the bed. Thankfully, Neal is helping out with back rubs - he is also helping me by putting lotion on the parts of my legs that I can no longer comfortably reach. I still feel bad having to ask him to do things like this for me, but I am so glad he is willing to help. I definitely do not think all husbands would be willing to do what he does for me! I have also noticed a drop in my energy level as I seem to need more naps than usual, and for some reason, I have been getting hungry and waking up between 3:30 and 4:30 am some mornings if I don't get a good snack before going to bed. This is something I experienced at the beginning of the pregnancy, so it's weird to have it happen again. At our appointment, everything still measured as normal, no significant spikes in blood pressure, normal weight gain and uterus size, Camden's heartbeat was about 140 beats per minute, and it appears that he may have moved to the correct position for delivery! This is just from the doctor's feel of my stomach, but she believes that his head is located toward the bottom of my uterus with his bottom up by my belly button. Let's just hope he stays there! Once again, we had a great visit with her, and I still really like her!

On Thursday, we met with the pediatrician who is closest to our house, and we really liked her office, personality and views on medicine. She is the mother of a two year old, so she totally understands what we will be going through over the next few years. Also, we like that her vaccinations are spaced out so that he will get no more than two shots at one time, and she offered help with breastfeeding/pumping if we need it. Because her office is associated with the children's hospital in our area, we can call a nurses' hotline at any time if we have a question, and they can look up our file from any computer with internet access to make sure we get the most helpful information. They can also connect us to the doctor if they feel like it's necessary. One other thing I liked about this doctor is that she is not someone who overdoes it with antibiotics for children, because she does not want them to build up immunities to them. We really felt like she will be an excellent fit for us, and I am so relieved to have this important decision out of the way!

And here's the part you've been waiting for . . . the nursery!

View from the door
Camden's crib (the canvases on the wall came from our church shower - they were decorations on the tables at the shower)

Close-up of the glider and the window

I love how the canvases turned out - even though I had to be very patient with the level while I was hanging them.

The memory board with some of my favorite outfits for Camden - he is going to wear the one on the left when he comes home from the hospital.

Ikea shelves, changing table, etc. I may put the sign on his bedroom door, but, for now, I like it on the shelf above the changing table.

Close-up of the shelves (thank you, Neal, for your patience with these - I know how much fun you had with the hardware :) )
The changing table - the cover for the changing pad was in the wash, so I this was not complete at the time of this picture.

Close-up of Camden's memory book made by my friend Keri - she is so talented!

A sampling of some of the pages
There is a page for a picture of Camden at each month of his first year

More cute pages
And, finally, this is where Camden will sleep for the first six weeks at home, and I love seeing this when I wake up each morning. By the way, his bassinet will move to my side of the bed, and the dogs' kennel will probably moved to this corner of the bedroom. I can't wait to see him sleep here!
Right now, I am enjoying my last few days of summer (I can't believe how it has flown by), before I go back to school. Pray that I have a great start to the year with my students before I take off six weeks to be with Camden. I am actually excited for school to start, and I feel more prepared this year than I ever have before - maybe it's because I have made a point to have everything ready for Camden's arrival before school starts - just in case he comes early!

0 comments: