LilyPie

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Showered (Part 1)!

This weekend was a whirlwind of showers and fun with LOTS of family and friends! We had a blast, but I will admit that both Neal and I were exhausted after it was all over. There are two parts to this weekend, but I will start with Friday night and Saturday. Read part 2 (above) to find out about Sunday! On Friday night, my parents arrived with a few big gifts that my mom didn't want to wait for us to open, so we could start setting them up that night! They brought the changing table for the nursery, the bassinet, the changing pad, the laundry hamper, and 4 boxes of clothes (these came from a parent of a baby in her class - it helps that she works with little ones, and that she talks about me constantly!)! We were so excited to have all of these things, and I am pretty sure that the grandparents and aunt have spent more on Camden than anyone else! He's pretty spoiled and loved!

Neal and my stepdad showing off some of the new items for Camden - Neal is modelling his Father's Day present - he said that many people commented on his shirt when he wore it for the first time recently!

Putting together the changing table - don't worry, I did not lift anything - I was just in charge of supervising the directions! This was worth staying up until 11:45 that night - in case you don't know this about me, I am usually asleep by 10:00 - I don't do late nights anymore!
Neal was practicing for when Camden arrives with one of our current "babies," Penny, who is very aware that big changes are coming to our house soon, and she doesn't like it! She sometimes likes to lay around my tummy to feel Camden's movements - I think it soothes her to sleep, but other times she completely ignores me and acts like she isn't getting any attention, because Neal and I are working on something for Camden. I think she will really grow to love Camden and will end up being very protective of him, but right now, she is extremely jealous!
With our crib and matching changing table - we now have all of the furniture that we need for the nursery - such a huge relief!
Penny's favorite spot and pout when I am working on something in the nursery - could she be more pitiful?
On Saturday, the rest of my family arrived and we drove to Taverna, an Italian restaurant in downtown Fort Worth, for my first shower. This was planned by two of my good friends at school, Keri and Jessica, and we invited family and school friends. Usually people at my school just have one shower that is held in the school library and everyone is invited, but Keri and Jessica wanted to do something extra special for me! Plus, they thought it would be a great way to get everyone together during the summer. I will still have a shower at school in August, but this was a great way to make sure that my family members could all participate, too. By the way, the food was delicious, and when I am no longer pregnant, I plan to go back for the Saturday brunch, so I can try one of their $1 bellinis!
With my cousin Carly - she was so happy to get to participate in such a "big girl" event, and she loved helping me open some of the big presents, and getting to spend time with her much older cousin. She was also the flower girl in my wedding, and she has always been special to me, because we had (up until a year ago) been the only two girl grandchildren on my dad's side of the family. I just wish that her family lived closer to us, so we could see each other more often!
Keri made this adorable bouquet! She used onesies, bibs, and socks to create this - I am very impressed, and at the moment I am using it as the center piece on our dining room table so I can see it every day!
My Nana (her gift to me was all of the bedding, curtains, baskets, and diaper holder for the nursery), Aunt Tina, and Carly - they definitely drove the longest distance (from Atlanta and Alabama) to attend the showers!
My mom (doesn't she look beautiful and young? I helped her pick out her dress) and my Aunt Shelly - they are sisters. I love how well our colors go together in this picture!
Some of my friends from school who came - I am blessed to work with such an amazing group of teachers!
This bib says, "If Mommy says no . . . Ask Grandma!" Of course, this came from my mom!
A musical giraffe for the nursery - it goes really well with the colors, and I love the song that it plays. I remember having a doll that played this same song (Lullaby and Good Night) as a little girl and I am hoping it will be special to Camden, as well.
A blanket crocheted by my mom for the nursery - I helped her pick out the colors, but I had no idea how it would turn out, but I love it, and I can't wait to snuggle with this while I am feeding Camden. My mom said that crocheting was very relaxing for her over the last few months. I'm concerned that it means that we might end up with many more blankets in the next few years! Just kidding, Mom! If they are all as soft as this one, then bring them on!

Beautiful memory book made by Keri - I will do a separate post dedicated to this and other handmade items, but this is something that Keri is known for. She makes one for every baby that is born on our campus - I think some people have babies just because they want one of her books! I love the colors, and I can't wait to fill it with pictures of my sweet little boy!
She made mini memory books for the grandmothers! I loved this, and they were so happy to be included! I also enjoyed seeing them get to talk and spend more time together this weekend - I think it helps that they have so much in common, and I know that they are going to love and spoil little Camden when he arrives!
Our high chair from Neal's parents! You can't see it, but the high chair was propped up on the Around the World walking toy that came from my Aunt Rhonda and Uncle Randy - Neal was so excited about that toy. He actually went to Babies 'R Us without me to talk with the employees about the best toys (he also researched strollers, car seats, and pack n plays), and he picked this one, because it had the best recommendations.
While the girls were at the shower, Neal took two of my cousins, my stepdad, my uncle, and another cousin to the Cowboys stadium for a tour and to play on the field.

Classic Neal face! He did a great job as entertainment director for the guys over the weekend!
Group shot in the end zone on the field - I think some of the sour looking faces were just because they were tired after throwing around the football for awhile!
That afternoon, the girls came back to our house for dessert and great conversation. It was so fun to have everyone together, and I learned a lot about the labor and delivery experiences of the women in my family!
We went to church on Saturday night and enjoyed delicious barbecue for dinner with my parents and Neal's mom and sister. We realized that the last time our parents hung out with each other was almost five years ago at our wedding. I think we will be planning more opportunities for everyone to visit at the same time, because this weekend was so fun!
Read the post below to find out about Sunday's fun!

0 comments: